Final image ready for the Interwebs bebes
I had to find a stock image off the internet for the stockroom as I was unable to find/get to a CCTV control room, I thought this would be a more interesting to finish off the images. I fought it would be quite easy to do and I left it to the last day to print but it took SO much longer (sorry Steve!) and was quite difficult. I had to place my edits on and the warp the images by transforming the images and pressing the Ctrl key to warp them and even liquify some to bend them a little. Also I had to brighten the edits to look like they were on the screens and also using layer masks and gradient fills to blend them in. I wasn’t 100% happy with it as it isn’t perfect as it turned out to be so much trickier but I’m satisfied with the image, I just hope it prints out okay!
These are all the edits I did, I really liked them in the end even though how long it took. I still want to combine the images in some sort of control room as they look a bit boring just on their own.
This is another edit I did but I used a different screen print that my internet was being weird and showing up all these patterns, as again I thought it could be useful! I used a section of the screen print and created a separate photoshop layer, then again painted it in with black to erase certain paints and also turned down the opacity and adjusted the colour so it was more blue. I was really happy with the edit, it worked out really well and the action worked this time so it saved me sometime!
This was the first image I created, when I used the action I created at uni when I got home it wouldn’t work. So I had to create a new action which took even longer and made the image have over 700 layers!, which made my laptop cry. I also added an extra layer from when I was on Skype a while back and my friend’s camera was had some sort of interference, so I screenprinted it as I thought it looked interesting and could be useful sometime (ignore my face!) and blended it in by colouring in extra greens to hide the parts that I didn’t want. I was really pleased with how it turned out even though it took forever and was painstakingly slow, but oh well!
My contact sheet for my CCTV images around my local neighbourhood, surprisingly there’s no much you can stand on so trying to make myself look tall like a surveillance camera. So I had to hold my camera above my head on Auto Focus and shoot like that, looking like a right weirdo. I wanted to shoot at night so it would be more moody and atmospheric but some of the images were too blurry to use due to the lack of light, but I didn’t want the focusing on my photos to be perfect as CCTV quality is using quite fuzzy and noisy.
Patrick Kafka by Stefan Armbruster
This photoshoot is another great example of how I wanted to take my shots, the way Armbruster has objects in the foreground to give the impression that the subject is being watched. This gives quite a creepy ambience to the photos and makes the model seem rather vulnerable and gives the viewer some power.
Dangerous Liaisons by Steven Klein
Steven Klein’s Dangerous Liaisons series, cleverly incorporates the idea of paparazzi in this photoshoot. Cleverly shot and framed, the series follows the conventions of typical paparazzi. Throughout the models seem to be unaware that they are being photographed or ignoring and disregarding the photographer, this concept of staged-voyeurism really intrigues me.
Additionally Klein intertextually combines ripped out scandal stories from a typical tabloid newspaper and inserts his photography within the articles, using a tabloid newspaper layout as a fashion photography spread. I love the presentation and layout of the editorial, by inserting the photos into a newspaper layout Klein gives his shoot further narrative.
From this shoot, I like the aspect you are the voyeur and the models are unknowingly being watched in some photos rather like CCTV and that’s the style of image I want for my project.
Meanwhile I was cameraless, Steve showed me how to create a CCTV look in an effective way. On an old photo of mine, I wanted to experiment this edit to find out how to do it. I had to create an action that would cut the image into rows of 5 pixels, then I would be able to create looking like CCTV interference by nudging the layers left or right. Leading to an image consisting of 350ish layers, which almost made the computers meltdown.